Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Crocheted Baby Cap

About a month ago, I came across a website with free crochet patterns. When I began writing for publication, I traded my crochet hooks for hooking readers (in the first paragraph for those of you who don't understand writer lingo).

My resolve evaporated when I saw this cute hat. I dashed out to Walmart and picked up yarn for the project. I thought you might like to see it.

I couldn't find a real baby to model this adorable baby hat, so my mother allowed me to use a doll from her collection. The hat is a size 6 months, a little big for this dolly. You can also make it in 12, 18, and 24 month sizes.

The pattern looks complicated, but it's super easy. The pattern calls for 1 - 3.5 oz. ball of Bernat Baby Jacquards in a design called, "Cherry Berry." I couldn't find that color, so I used the design, "Florals." The stitches are all single crochet for the cap and double crochet for the ruffle.

You can get the pattern at: http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-for-Baby/Baby-Ruffle-Hat-Chrochet-Pattern

I still have quite a bit of yarn leftover. I might be able to get a second cap from the 3.5 oz. ball. If you try it, let me know how you liked the pattern. I can't wait to see it on my honorary niece, who will be born around Christmas.

                                                                                    


Do you like to crochet or knit? What other crafts to you enjoy?


16 comments:

Denise said...

Very cute.

William Sloboda said...

hI CUZ. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. yOU REALLY HAVE A TALENT FOR IT. bILL

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Denise -

Thanks. I was able to get a second baby cap from the ball of yarn, which brings the cost down.

Also, Michael's and A. C. Moore often have a 40% or 50% off coupon in their Sunday flyers.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Cuz -

Thanks! Mom taught me to crochet when I was a kid. It's like second nature to me. :)

Blessings,
Susan

Diane said...

ADORABLENESS!!!! :O)

Susan said...

Oh Susan. Adorable. Hey! Why don't you do a post on your Mother's doll collection sometime? You know how much I love dolls and would love to see it. Maybe other readers would, too! Think about it! Susan

Unknown said...

Such talent, Susan! What an adorable hat! A friend and I led a girl's Bible study a few years back. I taught the Bible studay and she brought the practical manners/home skills lessons. I must say it was fun to learn how to crochet. Each of us crocheted a granny square and my friend connected them all to form a beautiful blanket for a teacher who was having a baby! Fun times!

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh, it's beautiful, Susie! You did a great job!!! I used to crochet a lot, but I did the same as you--traded my crochet hooks for writer hooks. After seeing this, I may need to reconsider...

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Diane -

It really turned out cute.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Susan -

Great idea! I also have a doll collection although some of them are packed away.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Maria -

Thanks! This little hat was super easy, and worked up in a couple of days.

What a great idea for a girls' group! I'm sure they enjoyed the project.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Jen -

I'm focusing on small, easy projects right now. I've got a couple in the works that will appear on this blog. :)

Blessings,
Susan

Susan said...

p.s. Susan, hi! It's me again. I wanted to send you an e-mail but couldn't find an e-mail address. I wanted to thank you for always visiting my blog and commenting. It always makes me happy to see you visited. Sincerely, Susan

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Susan -

You're welcome! You can reach me at susanjreinhardt AT gmail DOT com.

Blessings,
Susan :)

quietspirit said...

Susan:
Back in the late 1960s and again in the mid 1970s, I tried to first knit then crochet but I couldn't get my gauge right. So, I didn't proceed.

Kathleen said...

How utterly adorable!

My mother loved to crochet, and for many years we girls were beneficiary of her skill & largesse. Afghans, table clothes, doilies and the like filled our linen closets. However, I could never sit long enough to be taught to crochet myself. To this day I regret it.

Thank God these beautiful forms of art are not lost. You were definitely a much better student than I!

Kathleen