Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Summer's Last Gasp

Like an Olympic runner crossing the finish line, summer is about to finish her course. Flowers push out that final burst of color, and veggie plants put forth a Herculean effort to produce just one more eggplant or tomato.

When I got the digital camera, I wanted to take pictures of a pristine, well-ordered plot. By the time I learned how to use it, my garden resembled a tangled head of hair, wild and overgrown.

Now, I'm looking forward to the final harvest, clearing away the debris, and getting ready for next spring's planting.

I've made some mistakes, but I've learned:

1) In a 4 X 4 plot, one square is not enough for a tomato plant.

2) Three marigold plants in a square is one too many. They nearly overtook the garden.

3) Eggplant gets VERY big.

4) Lettuce is a cool weather crop and will bolt (go to seed and stop producing) when it gets too hot.

5) Tomatoes won't ripen in temperatures over 85 degrees.

6) Black pepper and red pepper don't stop a hungry woodchuck.

7) Cucumbers hate a regular garden trellis. They much  prefer wrapping themselves around the other plants and choking them to death.

Spiritual Application: You not only have to watch the bad stuff (sin), but also the good stuff that can take over your life with the busies.

What lessons have you learned from your gardening?

5 comments:

Diane said...

Great tips! Sorry about the woodchuck. What are you going to do with those giant eggplants? :O)

Jeanette Levellie said...

These are cute and wise, Susie.

I've learned that my walk with the Lord takes time and effort, but it's well worth the sweat when I partake of the fruit He gives.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Diane -

The plant itself was giant, not the veggie it produced. We gave away some and cooked up some for ourselves.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Jen -

The garden of our lives takes time and attention. Otherwise everything grows wild.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Kathleen said...

Fabulous! What a collection. (Those darn woodchucks ...)

The life application is right on!

I'm not much of a gardener, mostly because my ten year Arizona stint allowed for little of it (unless I wanted to eat Prickly Pear Cactus).

Not sure I'll take it up here in WA State, but I do love all things agricultural (except woodchucks). I relish a day at the Farmer's Market, or going by a field to gather fresh cucumbers, or blueberries.