Thursday, October 28, 2010

Shadow Box

Several years ago, I made this shadow box for my mother for Mother's Day. It takes a bit of time, but it's worth the effort.

I purchased an unfinished 8 X 10 shadow box at A.C. Moore and painted the frame a metallic gold. You can paint it any color that goes with your decor.

Next, I purchased about a half yard of cranberry moire fabric. (The color doesn't show up well here.) Some bits of lace, roses, and the butterflies add a nice touch. I also picked up some cotton batting, so it would be padded.

I selected some vintage items from my mother's collection of memorabilia - two old photos, one of my dad's medals, a pair of gloves, and an old wristwatch.

The shadow box comes with a cardboard backing. I cut and glued batting to the cardboard. I then wrapped the fabric around the cardboard and batting and secured it with a hot glue gun. All of the other items are hot glued to the fabric.

I've made other shadow box projects for wedding gifts, graduations, etc. If you decide to try this project, let me know how it comes out.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Love the shadowbox. I did a post on etsy this week and thought of you. Let me know what you think. :O)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Diane -

I'll pop over there. :)

Blessings,
Susan

Jeanette Levellie said...

This is lovely, Susie.

I made a shadowbox for my husband on one of his birthday's. It contained several items that represented our lives together and our family. I enjoyed making it, but haven't done one since.

Happy Weekend! Please stop by my blog tomorrow to enter the Big Office Product Prize Giveaway!!!

Love
Jen

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Jen -

Thanks! I've made two or three of these, mostly for weddings. I usually use the wedding invitation. It's a nice keepsake.

Blessings,
Susan :)

quietspirit said...

Susie:
This is a wonderful idea. I'll keep this in mind for some special presents for some close friends.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Quiet Spirit -

It was a fun project and makes an individualized gift.

Blessings,
Susan :)